Friday, July 16, 2010

Muffins...

Just because I like that word, or maybe more so the taste, Muffins is the name of this blog. However, let's get to the exciting part...Angela of newFood tuesdayz made scrumptious squash muffins in addition to a delicious Frittata during my LA visit a few weeks ago!

Now for a little preview of what was prepared during my visit!



Food photography has always been of great interest to me, and what better than to interview a dear friend in the act of one of her passions, cooking! I conducted a small interview with Angela and wanted to introduce her into my design world! Together we were in the "swim" world during college, and today we remain stellar friends. I can't wait to venture back to LA for another fabulously prepared meal! Oh how I miss her so and wish I could be around to try all of her food!



Introducing, newFood tuesdayz with Angela!

What is your favorite dish to prepare?
Because the basis for my cooking is a constant need to try new things, I don’t yet have a favorite dish to prepare. I haven’t made a single thing more than twice. My real favorite thing is cooking when I know a bunch of people are going to come over and enjoy my food. I especially love cooking for people that have never tried my food and seeing the expression on their face when they eat something really delicious.

What convinced you to create newFood tuesdayz? Why tuesdayz? And why the Z?

The only reason newFood tuesdayz has a Z is because new food Tuesdays was already taken. I wish there was a funnier explanation, but there isn’t. Someone just beat me too it. The reason it is Tuesdayz is because it is the only day of the week I continuously have free. I have yoga Monday, swimming Wednesday, softball Thursday and Friday is… Friday. I teach swim lessons on the weekend and there are usually some plans with friends. So, logically it was the day that made sense. I was convince to create new food Tuesdayz because I wanted to better myself. Something in me needed to learn something new and somehow I just fell into food. I had no idea I was going to fall into it the way I did. To me, the food is about more than just eating. Food is about the social aspect of being together and enjoying together. I think that’s why I fell so hard for food. I started the blog five months after I started new food Tuesdayz because I wanted to share my story. I always though cooking would be such a challenge, but it turns out it’s not. I think people of all ages should know that. What is your most favorite thing about cooking? My favorite thing about cooking is that it is my choice. It is something I do because I want to do it. Every morning I wake up and I go to work and for 8 hours I do things because I have to. When I come home I cook because it’s fun. And exciting. And challenging. I grate the cheese by hand instead of buying it that way because I can. Not to mention, everyone has to eat, you might as well eat something yummy.

What is something you could do better or want to improve on?

There is so much I could do better. I’m such a cooking novice! But on the top of the list right now is working on my timing. When you are cooking an entire meal and not just one dish, it’s really hard to get everything timed correctly so that everything is warm when it is time to eat. I think the only way I’m going to improve on this one is practice.
I’d also like to take some classes on sauces. There are so many delicious sauces out there and I know I don’t even know one percent of them. I really think sauces could take my cooking to a new level.

What is something you do beautifully in your cooking or your strength(s)?
I like to think my strength is that I’m brave. I’m not afraid to try a recipe that looks scary. In fact, I tend to look for recipes that are more complicated. It doesn’t always work out, but the worst case is that it sucks, and I have to make a frozen pizza.
I also make really delicious soups. And really good salad dressings. Probably because they are both really easy.

Who is your favorite kitchen aid/helper?
Well, my boyfriend Eric is my most used kitchen helper, and my biggest cheerleader. However, I have to say that my two younger brothers are my favorite kitchen aids. I love having them volunteer to help because I see in their faces the same love for food that I have. As we have all grown into adults our favorite thing is to have a meal together. For years this centered on eating out and I’m ecstatic that we are bringing it home to our own kitchens.

Who is your favorite creation taster?

My roommate Alicia is my favorite creation taster. Even though she is a chronic over saucer/spicer, how she feels about something is always written all over her face. I can always tell if something is good or bad by her expressions. I love that kind of raw honesty.


What is your first and foremost goal for your cooking future?
My first and foremost goal is to keep challenging myself. So often in my life I have picked up a hobby and shortly thereafter dropped it. But I’ve never felt about anything the way I feel about cooking and food. As long as I keep learning and growing and cooking and entertaining, I will be a happy camper. But long term, my dream is to open a restaurant. A restaurant where my family and friends and complete strangers will come and eat and laugh and drink and enjoy one another’s company.

What is your favorite practical joke you've played? Who was it on and why?

I can’t say that I am a big practical joker. I very much enjoy practical jokes, but am never clever enough to come up with them. Recently I almost played a practical joke on a friend I was visiting in Spain but my boyfriend and I chickened out. We were going to fake a proposal and let her get all excited and then tell her the truth. But, he got cold feet.

Besides cooking, what are some other pastimes you enjoy?

Does eating count as a separate thing? But luckily I also like to work out. I really enjoying riding bikes, yoga and swimming. I also love to dance. And reading, I love a good book.


What is one recipe you would like to share with the our fellow bloggers?

I would like to share the recipe that started newFood tuesdays. My parents said they were the best crab cakes they had ever had.

CRAB CAKES! (Click for the story!)
1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells

1/3 cup crushed garlic cheese croutons (trader joes)
3 green onions (green and white parts)
finely chopped

1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt Dash cayenne pepper Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup peanut oil

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes.

I love them with a Remoulade to dip in!
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped celery

2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
3 tablespoons Creole whole-grain mustard
3 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons chopped parsley leves

1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Blend in food processor and serve.

No comments: